Monday, March 14, 2011

Validation

We all spout off from time to time that we do not care what other people think, that is why we get tattooed, pierced, wear our hair in freakish styles, etc. But the reality is, is that we are all seeking some sort of validation from somewhere. The more outlandish your appearance, the more it states that I am hard, I dare you to approach me, better yet, I dare you not to judge me. The more understated, the more it states that I am scared and am hiding, please don't notice me..then again, please do.
I've thought recently about the things that have shaped my past and more aptly, my present. Being told I would never be "officer wife material", that I am too bold to be noticed or liked by the boys, that my husband would like to know he wasn't kissing a man from time to time.
I have spent a majority of my life "not caring" what other people think of me and for the most part that is true. I have scars and secrets that you will never know or understand unless you take the time to get to know me. I don't care what you think, I am the way I am because of the life I have lived.
But at the end of the day, even I seek validation from someone. I crave that praise that tells me I am good at my job. That longing smile that tells me I am desired. That falling tear that tells me I'm missed. And most of all, that lingering hug that says I love you and don't want you to leave.
Yes, we all seek validation, no matter what pretense we portray to convince ourselves otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment